Saturday, January 19, 2013


I'm afraid this is going to be another one of those "wow an awful lot has happened in the last week or so" type of posts...

Firstly - last weeks job interview. That one I said I really wanted. Well I didn't think the interview went badly, although it was very short so I'm not sure I had the chance to get across everything I wanted to, but 2 days later I found out I didn't get the job. Rats.

It'll be OK though right?  Offered 2 more job interviews since (more on those later). I also had my first med school interview. If I end up being lucky enough to get more than 1 offer (and one would definitely be enough to make me very happy!) then this isn't my first choice of uni, so whilst I wanted to give it everything to try and secure myself a place I know it's not the end of the world if I don't get an offer here (especially as there were apparently 1600 applicants, 160 people invited to interview and only 28 places....). It was nearly over before it started though. The small amount of snow wasn't going to cause any problems with the trains but a broken down train on our line did. We were held up for almost an hour in total, which was more time than I had allowed in my journey planning.  Couldn't get through to any one helpful at the uni so just had to turn up and hope for the best.  I'd over allowed time for other parts of the journey, so with a bit of running I was only 20 minutes late. But too late for my interview slot.  Thankfully they had a space in the group an hour later so I still got my interview! I signed something to say I wouldn't go into the details, but it was a very stressful process (8 5 minute interviews...timed with buzzers!), I know a couple of stations went badly but the rest were OK. Don't want to speculate as to whether I'll be in or not.  Just have to wait 4-6 weeks to find out!

Onto Tuesday....I was very excited. Having been volunteering with audits for one consultant anaesthetist in particular I was allowed to go into theatres with him. Despite the fact I didn't see any of the actual surgery going on I feel like I learnt loads being at the anaesthetic end! Whilst some of it was described as useless information I'm trying to remember as much of it as I can as I'm sure a lot of it will come in handy.  Most of the things I was "taught" came from questions, it was really good to feel challenged by something again.

"How do we know this patient's airway isn't obstructed?"
-You can see his chest moving up and down
"Yes, how else?"
-His oxygen saturation hasn't started going down
"Anything else?"
-The mask has a good seal?
"OK, what else can you see that shows us he's breathing?"
-You can see condensation on the mask

There were lots of questions, throughout the whole morning - mainly physiology related. Generally things that could be worked out if you thought about it in the right way as he knows I'm not even a med student yet so haven't actually been taught anything, but it was good nonetheless!  Back next week to see what they do on intensive care...! :)

I had a bit of a wobble after that.  Cancelled the 2 job interviews that I was given. Not entirely sure why - fear of the unknown I suppose! Turns out that wasn't such a bad idea. Been offered a job as an analytical chemist for a month. I nearly didn't take it, but couldn't come up with a good reason why I shouldn't so I start on Tuesday! (I was hoping for a week or so to get myself together and "back in the game" but I'll have to make do with a couple of days!)

They wanted a full week out of me next week, but I'm only doing 2 days (although as of Friday I'll be doing 31 days straight at work (cos of the bike shop too), well with one day off in the middle for a uni interview!) as I'm going to be at the hospital for the other 3 days. Once for my "work experience" on intensive care, once for physio and once to see my surgeon again. Mildly panicking about that, but also panicking about new job so maybe the panicking will cancel each other out!

Hopefully I'll be able to make the most of being given then chance to "break myself in gently" to work, had a fairly quiet day at work today and I'm more than a little bit tired so it's definitely going to be a challenge...

Shall keep you updated where I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment