Wednesday, October 12, 2011

12/10/11

My weekend was a bit of a damp one, but still made it out to the peak district with Ramsoc - took the easy option of doing a walk 2 (definitely glad I did - that was hard enough work for me!), the weather was OK for the first half but then got wet, windy and cold! I didn't take my camera (due to the forecast), but still had my phone with me. Here's the view from The Roaches:

So far, uni has been pretty good this week (I did have Monday off!), definitely going to be enjoying some lectures a lot more than others this term - but thankfully the good ones out weigh the bad! Haven't heard from the note taking people yet, and another addition to the group of lecturers who don't do powerpoints or handouts and rely solely on writing made today far more difficult than it should have been!

That said, contrary to what you might think, it's not the writing that is causing me the most problems. It's the small things that I can't do anymore that make it frustrating - things like carrying a drink, using a light switch and tying shoe laces. All things that I could do not only before the accident, but before I had surgery. I know they did their best, and it's just one of those things that happened but that doesn't mean I'm OK with it, an operation to explore (and hopefully mend) an injury shouldn't result in things being considerably worse. Before: 2 non-straightening fingers; after: 4 non-straightening fingers, a dodgy thumb, a weakened wrist and on-going pain. So clearly something didn't go to plan. And it's the same consultant that wants me to let him loose again...I'd be unlucky for things to go wrong twice though right?

3 and a half weeks 'til I see my consultant again, and we make the "what next?" plans; after a considerable amount of thought and deliberation, and despite the still on going doubts, I can't see how I could say no if he offers to go ahead with the next surgery (which was the plan before I left for uni). I was willing to take the risk before, and now I'm in a worse position so it should be a no brainer - I want my hand working again!

Actually, I'd say it's closer to a need than a want. I may have spent much of the last 2 years complaining about labs (yes I know undergrad labs are not like "real" labs), but I always did quite well, and had fun in my brief experience of a proper lab too. So whichever route I go down (Bsc vs MChem vs PhD), as that is still to be decided, I would like to think that I will, for at least a while, end up working in some sort of lab doing some sort of chemistry; and as much as I have enjoyed aspects of chemistry which lend themselves quite well to "thought experiments" and computational chemistry, I'd like to be able to do "real" chemistry and play with chemicals - not sure I'll be much good at that with 1 and a bit working hands though...

I seem to have been rambling a bit again, probably ought to stop now! I'm off home this weekend (as I have a hand therapy appointment early next weekend), it'll be nice to have a few days away from Nottingham and back with the family (I've had to promise my Grandma I won't speak to any strangers on the train home!), so assuming there's no drama's I expect I won't be blogging again until sometime next week...

So until then - hei hei! (which I'm assured is goodbye in Finnish...)

No comments:

Post a Comment