Friday, May 11, 2012

11/5/12

I spent much of the morning in my usual cave of grumpiness and quickly retreated after a quick trip to the outside world where I was surprised by how cheery everyone was!

Due to a rather wandering mind, along with the usual issues it took me 5 hours to get through the notes from one lecture.  2 days to get through 2 more of those and then other half of the module...

My pondering today has been mainly about optimism vs pessimism.  Trying to decide which camp I'm lying in at the moment, seen as there's something I'm really hoping is going to happen but I know the chances are very slim.  Does it make me optimistic because I still have hope, maybe, (however small) that something that probably isn't going to happen might, or pessimistic because I think the chances are small (even if it's true)?

In the process of contemplating the optimism vs pessimism thing I've been thinking about the various possible out comes of the situation in question.  The result I'm hoping for really is just the best of a bad bunch.  I should stop spending so much time thinking about it because there's nothing whatsoever I can do about it at the moment, and a lot of it is a bit hypothetical anyway.  But I can't help it!

Anyway, having finally got to the end of this set of lecture notes I went to the cinema with my mum.  I like watching films, I've been watching a lot of DVDs recently.  I guess I like the way that you can get really engrossed in a story, whether something entirely fantasy or based on reality it's not "your" reality.

We went to see Dark Shadows, seen as I like Tim Burton and my mum is a big Johnny Depp fan it seemed like a good choice!  

Popcorn too!  


I'm not going to do a review or anything like that 'cos I'm not good at that sort of thing, what I will say is that it was a very "Tim Burton-y" film (as you'd expect), a strange mix of comedy, action and horror which in my opinion he does very well.  Although to me it seemed almost a bit like a parody of itself, it' s hard to describe and I don't want to spoil the film.  Definitely worth a watch if you like Burton's style though! 

Right, I should probably get back to work (do I have to?).  Next set of lecture notes is on catalysis in the polymer industry, or something like that.  Can hardly contain my excitement.

No comments:

Post a Comment